Monday, July 27, 2015

Day 16

  Today I came late, but the class was focusing on math, which is one of my easier subjects. I challenged myself, I tried not to use my calculator, but only used it when absolutely needed. I think one of my reasons why I'm mainly better at math is because of my grandpa. My grandpa was a teacher in the army of India before he came to Canada. He was an influence on me for learning math. Everyday after school for around an hour, he used to give me complex math questions, mainly number problems. That built my strength of multiplication, division , addition and subtraction, the foundations of math. I took action today to challenge myself to build better habits, like not using my calculator as much. These little adjustments will hopefully help me learn, and approach questions differently. For example, not using my calculator helps me focus on building my mental math skills, and in my opinion using your skills instead of artificial skills is the best way to go. I got some answers wrong too, little mistakes is what challenges my learning. For example, sometimes I will forget to carry the one or, not look at the symbol of aproach (+, %, x, -). I need to slow myself down, many teachers have commented on my work as rushed, and this is the time to fix it. Like I said, approaching my learning with little steps will better help my overall learning. Today was also project day one.
I already had my question in mind because I thought of it in my spare time at home. Since I was enrolled in Social Studies, I focused on government and economy. This was one of my biggest interests in socials, but also one area I have struggled with. I chose this topic to not only educate myself but to educate others. I want my presentation to be engaging with the audience, to make them think.

2 comments:

  1. Habits are one of the most important things to have in school. They will definitely, "Make or Break," you. It's great to see you challenging yourself and taking your learning into your own hands, you won't have peer tutors, like us, to help again.

    What is the difference between, "your skills," and, "artifical skills,"?

    Slowing my work down has always been an issue for myself as well. I usually try to get through my work quickly, but always review it for the mistakes I'm sure I've made.

    Your base goal of your presentation is the base of a good presentation. Not only wanting to teach yourself, but WANTING to teach others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habits are one of the most important things to have in school. They will definitely, "Make or Break," you. It's great to see you challenging yourself and taking your learning into your own hands, you won't have peer tutors, like us, to help again.

    What is the difference between, "your skills," and, "artifical skills,"?

    Slowing my work down has always been an issue for myself as well. I usually try to get through my work quickly, but always review it for the mistakes I'm sure I've made.

    Your base goal of your presentation is the base of a good presentation. Not only wanting to teach yourself, but WANTING to teach others.

    ReplyDelete