Today is day 4 and in the morning we played a group game called river cross. It was a game that involved strategy as a group and we struggled in the beginning but eventually got the hang of it after our peer tutors yelled at us a couple of times. We never won but at least we had a plan we could all agree on. After the river cross game we headed back to class, we watched a presentation on jobs that my peer tutor Ethan presented. It was based on what we need vs. what we want, on the stranded island that we have focused on in the past few days. In our group (Harsh, Arsh and I) we decided that the most important wants were: Burial services for example a choice of cremation or a burial. An economy and food preservation. There were needs too but they were already said from the group before us. We also focused on idea webs, breaking down the question based on what we know. Ethan also used the idea web for the jobs on the island. After the presentation we did made a card of ourselves focused on our skills, and what roles we are suitable for on the island. One of my classmates wrote "reproducer" on their paper and that was funny.
The most important skill I learned today was web creating. Web creating is a kind of brainstorming. It breaks down a question based on what you know. This helps because there are times when I am clueless about a question, but I actually know it. One of my problems with questions is I am not confident in my answer. This will help me as I will have proof that the answer is correct and be more confident in it.
Sorry we yelled at you ;) You're view of, at least we had fun and learned, is exactly the view we want to give everyone in this program.
ReplyDeleteHow did you like the presentations? Do you feel you learnt well from it or not were you lost in the pints?
I'm glad you thought about the most important skill you learnt was. It shows you're really thinking about what you're doing here and are understanding the course very well. Great work today!
Why do you think mind-maps are useful? If you feel uncertain with them I suggest practicing. Pick a topic like basketball or video games or countries and try and mind-map those ideas.
ReplyDeleteBeing confident in your answer is important - but it is also alright to be wrong. Good learners are wrong all the time. The being said - you are right - you know way more than you realize. You just need to develop confidence in yourself and your answers!
What goals do you have for yourself for next week?